IDEAS FOR GOOD Business Design Lab will hold an online event “Carbon neutral strategies to revitalize local economy”
- On 2022年2月4日
- carbon credits, carbon neutral, Circular Economy, CO2 absorption credits, decarbonization, IDEAS FOR GOOD, IDEAS FOR GOOD Business Design Lab, local economy, Online Event, regional revitalization, Shimokawa Town in Hokkaido, sustainable tourism, Yahoo Japan
IDEAS FOR GOOD Business Design Lab will hold an online event regarding connections between the local economy and corporations centered on decarbonization. The event will include discussions from the perspectives of both local areas and corporations and is titled “Carbon neutral strategies to revitalize local economy.”
As corporate actions to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050 have been increasing, cooperation between municipalities and corporations regarding decarbonization has been accelerating. The following are some examples of this kind of cooperation.
- Corporations are buying carbon credits issued by municipalities to promote the introduction of forest maintenance and energy-saving equipment
- Corporations are contributing money to municipalities, using a corporate version of Japan’s furusato nozei tax system, with carbon neutrality as the theme
- Municipalities in metropolitan areas are purchasing renewable energy made by regional municipalities, and cooperation between areas is built through this
These new relationships built between municipalities and corporations do not just have environmental value through decarbonization. They also lead to cooperation between areas and regional revitalization, as well as the creation of new societal and economic value, such as lines to sustainable tourism.
At this event, we will invite two noteworthy guests, Toshio Yamamoto from the Policy Promotion Section of Shimokawa Town in Hokkaido Prefecture, as well as Takuya Hasegawa from the SR Promotion Integration Headquarters of Yahoo Japan. Shimokawa Town has issued the most credits in Japan with CO2 absorption credits through the promotion of forest thinning. Through zero-emissions communities made with corporate cooperation, the town is solving the issue of the aging population. Yahoo Japan has contributed to 10 municipalities with the theme of carbon neutrality through the corporate version of furusato nozei, the Hometown Tax Donation Program.
Through discussion with these guests, participants will think about issues such as what kind of value corporations can create inside and outside their companies by cooperating with municipalities for decarbonization, as well as how municipalities can increase exposure for corporations and build relationships that don’t stop at contributions and purchasing carbon credits.
- Examples that led to the creation of social and economic value through cooperation between local areas and corporations, with the theme of decarbonization
- How to choose and build relationships with municipalities making efforts for decarbonization
- Changes in companies and local areas that happen through cooperation between corporations and local areas
- How we can expand efforts beyond just purchasing carbon credits and contributions
We recommend this event if
- You are a sustainability promotional supervisor for businesses making efforts towards decarbonization
- If you are an issuer of municipality carbon credits
- If you are someone from a municipality searching for ways to cooperate with corporations
- If you want to know how to expand your sustainable business
There is no participation fee for this event. You can apply for the event at the following link.
IDEAS FOR GOOD Business Design Lab will continue to post information regarding sustainable urban development.
[Reference Site] [To be held on Feb. 7] “What are carbon neutral strategies that realize regional revitalization? New connections between corporations and regions, starting from decarbonization”
[Related Site] IDEAS FOR GOOD Business Design Lab