IDEAS FOR GOOD released free white paper “Case studies: Biomass plastics adoption in Europe”
- On 2023年12月9日
- biomass plastics, Biomass Recycling, Circular Economy, Europe, Germany, Harch Europe, Mitsui Chemicals, Norway, the Netherlands, White Paper
IDEAS FOR GOOD, a web media that collects ideas for making society better, has released a free white paper on the adoption of biomass plastics in Europe, based on a joint research project with Mitsui Chemicals, Inc.
Amid calls for global warming and plastic waste problems, the world is moving away from plastics, and the use of familiar plastic products such as straws and cups is being reconsidered these days. One company that is reconsidering the possibilities of plastic is Mitsui Chemicals, Inc. Mitsui Chemicals and IDEAS FOR GOOD have worked together on a project “Thinking about the Material of Materials” since 2022.
Read the series of articles: Solving environmental issues: Mitsui Chemical’s plastic revolution beyond plastic (in Japanese)
In this issue, IDEAS FOR GOOD and Mitsui Chemicals, Inc., which aims to realize a regenerative society by reviewing materials from the materials they are made of, have conducted joint research and created a white paper. It summarizes 20 of the latest examples in Europe of the use of biomass plastics (including some recycled) in food packaging materials, home appliances, automobiles, and other products.
Currently, about 10 million tons of plastics are used in Japan, of which only 80,000 tons are bioplastics (biomass plastics + biodegradable plastics) as of 2021. In Europe, on the other hand, the adoption of biomass plastics has been increasing in recent years as part of a movement to reduce the environmental impact of petroleum-based plastics and achieve a carbon-neutral circular economy. In particular, a new approach (concept) called the mass balance method has begun to be introduced for converting plastics to biomass, and its adoption is accelerating in various industries.
In Japan, the roadmap for the introduction of bioplastics announced in 2021 calls for increasing the amount of biomass plastic to 2 million tons by 2030, and the social implementation of biomass plastic is expected to increase rapidly. This report is a must-read for those who are interested in biomass plastics and those who are curious about trends in biomass in Europe.
Structure of the white paper
- 20 Case studies (Biomass Recycling)
- Personal care, household goods and appliances
- Food products
- Toys and baby products
- A health tech company that manufactures well-designed kitchenware with biomass PP (the Netherlands)
- A food company uses biomass PP for packaging potato chips (Norway)
- An automotive company that uses biomass and recycled polyamide for automotive parts (Germany)…and more.
White paper excerpt
White paper overview
- Author: Mitsui Chemicals, Harch Europe (IDEAS FOR GOOD editorial staff)
- Price: Free
- Publication date: November 16, 2023
- Format: Digital (PDF format)
- Number of pages: A4 26 pages
- Download: https://jp.mitsuichemicals.com/jp/sustainability/beplayer-replayer/soso/whitepaper/ (in Japanese)
- Companies aiming for or practicing sustainable management
- Brand managers and product planners
- Those who are interested in plastic issues in a carbon-neutral society
- Those who want to learn more about biomass plastics
- Those who want to collect case studies of advanced European companies on biomass plastics
- Those who are interested in sustainable product development
- Those who wish to explore alternatives beyond plastic removal through material transformation
[Reference] “Mitsui Chemicals x IDEAS FOR GOOD “Case Studies of Biomass Plastics Adoption in Europe” White Paper Available Free of Charge | IDEAS FOR GOOD (in Japanese)
[Related Site] IDEAS FOR GOOD (in Japanese)